There are two options for marriage licenses:
An express marriage license with no stay requirements or;
A regular marriage license that has a requirement of 3days stay in the country prior to the marriage application being completed and submitted.
Applications for special License must be signed by both applicants, verified by affidavit and accompanied by the applicants’ identity documents (i.e. certified copies of applicants’ birth certificate, passport etc.)
Application can be submitted through the Banyan Bay Wedding Coordinator.
The basic requirements for getting married in Belize are:
Completed application forms along with –
- Identification Documents – All documents required must be original but copies of the original documents notarized by a Justice of the Peace is acceptable.
- Citizenship – No residency requirement.
- Parental consent is required if under age 18.
- Marital status – Original or certified copy of divorce or death certificate must be presented if divorced or widowed.
- Witnesses – Two witnesses, can include hotel staff but must be at least 18 years of age.
The ceremony can be performed by a Minister of Religion or Justice of the Peace.