Do you love trivia? We’ve got you covered, so next time you’re talking about Ambergris Caye, you can impress others with your inside knowledge about this area’s history, cultural references and surprising facts. If these revelations make you want to visit even more, we recommend a nice long stay at the Villas of Banyan Bay where you will learn even more about this popular vacation destination!
1. The “San Pedro” Madonna crooned so seductively about is none other than the town that’s at the heart of Ambergris Caye.
2. Ambergris Caye is just 25 miles long and five miles wide, so you can see everything without traveling far.
3. Despite Ambergris Caye’s popularity, there are plenty of places to visit that are so solitary, you can actually hear nothing but nature’s ambient sounds.
4. Explore Hispanic influences here on Ambergris Caye that are vestiges of Spain’s colonization in the past.
5. Lots of people refer to Ambergris Caye as San Pedro because the town is so bustling it’s gained a huge reputation on its own.
6. If you haven’t visited lately, you might be surprised to learn that some sandy streets are now paved, so if you counted on sand to build your calf muscles, you might not be happy.
7. Ambergris Caye is golf cart heaven. Quirky signs help regulate traffic, so no speeding, please.
8. Ambergris Caye maintains a low skyline; no structure on the Caye is taller than three stories for unobstructed views of paradise.
9. Contrary to rumor, the Great Belize Barrier Reef has not moved in inch since it burst from the sea floor!
10. You will have at least 35 diving adventure choices thanks to innovative tour operators on Ambergris Caye.
11. Love the romantic sound of the word “Ambergris”? It’s actually lumps of matter found in the bellies of sperm whales.
12. While everyone refers to Ambergris Caye as an island, it’s actually an appendage of the Yucatan Peninsula. The Mayans actually engineered the channel that separates this area from Mexico.
13. The weather is so consistently idyllic, it only spans a 25-degree temperature range year round.
14. You’ll need a permit to drive a car on Ambergris Caye even if you bring your driver’s license.
15. Shop a big variety of food sources on Ambergris Caye: American-style grocery stores, mom and pop mini-marts, farmer’s markets and street vendors.
16. Visit any month of the year and you’ll likely run into a holiday, the four biggest being Township Day, Carnival, San Pedro Day and the Costa Maya Festival.
17. It may surprise you to learn that the bars on Ambergris Caye rarely get raucous after 10 p.m. because everyone hits the sheets early to be up for fishing, diving, scuba and land adventures the following morning.
18. Nobody cares if you dress up on Ambergris Caye because there is no dress code. A favorite bit of wardrobe advice for men? Fancy dress means your shirt has buttons.
19. You don’t have to tax your brain calculating exchange rates. Ambergris Caye merchants accept a variety of currencies and the exchange rate for Belize money is an unforgettable $2BZD to $1 USD.
20. Ambergris Caye attracts so many visitors because it’s a safe place to visit, thus you can leave your fears and anxieties back home.
21. Unique jewelry items and wood carvings are Ambergris Caye’s claim to fame. Shop artisans along Barrier Reef Drive and you’ll see what we mean.
Questions about Ambergris Caye? Send us an email: email@example.com or call 1-866-352-1163. We will love to help plan your Ambergris Caye vacation! Request more information on our all-inclusive Belize vacation packages.