Ever dream that a genie pops up from an antique store bottle and grants you a wish? If you’re stressed, busy and can’t recall the last time you vacationed, a getaway may be your top request–reason enough to make 2016 the year you rediscover how it feels to relax, reboot your head and refresh your spirit. Why Belize? For 10 great reasons.
Flights to Belize
1. Airline deals are prevalent thanks to Southwest Airlines
joining the already-impressive list of domestic and local carriers flying into Belize City. Direct flights from southern U. S. cities take only a few hours—barely enough time to take the deep breaths required to shift your head from stress to relaxation mode.
Banyan Bay Suites
2. Tourist-loving Belize is all about affordability, yet tourists find luxury lodgings at a resort like the Villas at Banyan Bay on Ambergris Caye
. It’s not easy to find a highly-rated resort with exceptional amenities, onsite gourmet dining and access to tours
that’s situated just 20 minutes from town, but these are a few of the reasons frequent guests keep returning.
Scuba Dive the Belize Blue Hole
3. Dive the Blue Hole. This vertical cave is a heart-pounding dive experience named for its unusual configuration and the deep blue color that’s so dramatic, you can differentiate the hole from turquoise waters surrounding it from the air. Formed during an ice age, the hole is 980 feet deep, a mix of salt and fresh water, and a deep sea diver’s dream. Happily, it’s right off the coast of Ambergris Caye
Forget the Crowds
4. Forget the crowds! Your longing for peace and tranquility in 2016 will be satisfied if you visit Belize during and surrounding the summer season. Hog an entire beachfront. Sail to cayes and disembark with a few other passengers. Join small parties of tourists visiting Mayan settlements, ruins and heritage sites
. Ask a million questions of your guide without being interrupted!
Snorkel Hol Chan Marine Reserve
5. Snorkel all four of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve’s zones
. The pride of the Natural Parks of Belize network, Hol Chan is the oldest marine reserve in the nation, cutting a 25-yard-wide swath through the Belize reef to expose a wonderland of marine life within a 30-foot-deep chasm filled with seagrass beds and mangroves. The Shark Ray Alley zone rates special attention.
The Weather in Belize is Perfect
6. Perfect year-round weather is nothing to sneeze at—particularly if you live in a region that’s cold and dreary. Come to Belize for perpetual sunshine and the occasional shower that tends to come down at night or for short periods of the day before the sun pops out again. There’s a reason you need sunscreen year-round when visiting Belize
Fishing in Belize
7. Allow Banyan Bay staff plan a fishing trip
for you. Your job? Pick the type of outing you prefer, and your wish for a specialized Bone/Tarpon/Permit fishing trip, a reef fishing/live bait trolling/bottom fishing expedition or deep sea adventure where Wahoo, Tuna, Kingfish and Sharks are plentiful will be granted.
Explore Ancient Mayan Ruins and Zip Line through the Jungle
8. If lying around on the beach isn’t your idea of relaxation, Mother Nature and Belize will indulge you. Among the more exotic experiences you’ll find here include exploring caves filled with Mayan treasure, zip lining and repelling from dramatic heights. Come during full moons from April to June and swim with whale sharks, too.
Plan Your Wedding in Ambergris Caye
9. Plan your wedding on Ambergris Caye
. No expensive wedding planner required to have a picture-perfect affair at a resort like Banyan Bay because staff is made up of wedding professionals. Make it a simple affair or a tropical fantasy. Stick around for the honeymoon of a lifetime.
Discover Belizean Cuisine
10. The secret is out: Belize–and particularly Ambergris Caye—is fast becoming the Caribbean’s culinary capital thanks to a diverse populace whose roots are reflected in foods served throughout Belize. From street vendors dispensing savory beans, rice and stew chicken to Chinese, Indian, European and Hispanic cuisine highlighting menus everywhere from casual eateries to high-end restaurants, nobody returns from Belize hungry. Nobody!